Saturday, July 16, 2011

PE1_i-movie



Torn Between Two  Video Editors

When I realized that for this assignment that I would build on my skills in regards to i-movie, I quickly thought I would try to learn about a more advanced video editor.  The reason for this is that I feel i-movie is intuitive enough to work in without having to go through a whole formal training. My ego told me that I should spend time learning about a more sophisticated video editor, or maybe even Adobe After Effects so that I could really show off.  I began to watch the Lynda.com training on Premier Pro and realized that there are many great features in that program that allow for superior editing, I could do some really cool stuff.  However, it seemed to be getting very complicated and would be great if my main job was to become a video editor.  However. My job as an educator calls for a quick editing software that is easy to use on the fly. So I felt torn between the two worlds of editing. Should I just do the assignment in i-movie, and learn about all of the ins and outs of the program, even though it might not be able to do all of the things that I want it to do, or should I dive in and take the eight hour training plus about 20 hours to practice everything it teaches, so that I could learn more advanced techniques. 

            As I began to ponder my approach I started to look into other video editors and found that Apple just came out with the redesigned from the ground up Final Cut Pro X. Many users are quite upset that they completely re-designed it from the ground up to look more like i-movie. I on the other had couldn’t be more thrilled. Apple has made the decision for me. If Final Cut X is set up like I movie with added advanced features, then I will learn all I can about I movie and go with Final Cut Pro in a few months when I can afford the upgrade.  Furthermore, instead of taking the time to learn about Premier Pro,  I would rather take the time to learn all I can about Adobe’s After Effects to incorporated superior effects and just import them for now to i-movie. So, with that said the following blogs with be about my adventures in i-movie, and After Effects. Stay tuned. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment